redrede 發表於 2013-8-21 11:31:44

Movies Junkies 週未睇乜舊片好

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 11:43 編輯

I am going to start a post for sharing the past movies where I think those are worthwhile watching, but I'm not going to discuss in details and only giving my thought, also welcome everyone to contribute their selections {:5_259:}

Will post four movies for starting.....

The Last Kiss (2006 Film)

The Plot:
The plot revolves around a young couple and their friends struggling with adulthood and issues of relationships and commitment.

Level:
III (some nudity)

Directed by:
Gabriele Muccino

Main Cast:
Zach Braff, Jacinda Barrett, Rachel Bilson, Casey Affleck

My Comment:
How do you think the relationship with your love one? Even when you are going to celebrate your 40th Anniversary with your love one still have much to care about. This is just not only a young couple things.

My Rating:
4/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJB_Ccoh-Ro

redrede 發表於 2013-8-21 11:38:41

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 11:44 編輯

John Q (2002 Film)

The Plot:
John Quincy Archibald (Denzel Washington) and his wife Denise (Kimberly Elise) witness their young son Michael (Daniel E. Smith) collapse at his baseball game. After a series of tests at the hospital, John is informed by Dr. Raymond Turner (James Woods) and Rebecca Payne (Anne Heche), a hospital administrator, that Michael has an enlarged heart and will need a transplant. However because the company he works for dropped John from full-time to part-time, his health insurance has been changed and the new policy does not cover the surgery, leaving them to raise 30% ($75,000) of the $250,000 in order to get their son's name on the donor list. The family tries to raise the money but are only able to come up with a third of the necessary payment. Eventually the hospital gets tired of waiting and decides to release Michael, leading Denise to tell John to "do something."

Level:
IIA (some violence)

Directed by:
Nick Cassavetes

Main Cast:
Denzel Washington

My Comment:
Pointed out the system of insurance how they suck your money without mercy, when the medical service play along with the insurance people. This is shown the problem in America, have it happen to your family and friends? Denzel Washington is the man to watch in this movie.

My Rating:
4/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx7MPpbYSx8

redrede 發表於 2013-8-21 12:26:20

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 11:47 編輯

Watchmen (2009 Film)

The Plot:
In a gritty and alternate 1985 the glory days of costumed vigilantes have been brought to a close by a government crackdown, but after one of the masked veterans is brutally murdered an investigation into the killer is initiated. The reunited heroes set out to prevent their own destruction, but in doing so discover a deeper and far more diabolical plot.

Level:
IIB

Directed by:
Zack Snyder

Main Cast:
Malin Akerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Carla Gugino, Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Patrick Wilson

My Comment:
How do you see Justice? How do you see your past glory? If you have the power to change this world, would you use violence to against the unfairness in the world?

My Rating:
4/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3orQKBxiEg

redrede 發表於 2013-8-21 12:32:50

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 11:48 編輯

Momento (2000 Film)

The Plot:
A backwards sequence is shown. A memory inside a memory, Memento is a complicated head spinning adventure. Leonard is determined to avenge his wife's murder. However, unable to remember anything that happens day-to-day due to a condition he sustained, short term memory loss, he has to write himself note after note that still don't mean anything after he falls asleep. The film goes back in time to reveal each little bit of the puzzle as he tries to find out the person who killed his wife and makes the audience feel just as confused as he is. The narrative closely follows a phone call Pearce has in which he talks about Sammy Jankis a former client of his who he believed had the same condition. The film takes an unexpected twist as the two characters have a lot more in common than is initially put across.

Level:
IIB

Directed by:
Christopher Nolan

Main Cast:
Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano

My Comment:
Lucky if you don't remember anything. The ugly true you may not want to see.

My Rating:
4.2/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ploSYVE0uao

dog17dog 發表於 2013-8-21 15:50:53

watchmen,memento{:4_133:}

redrede 發表於 2013-8-22 15:24:23

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 11:49 編輯

Going to roll a bit faster at first........{:5_190:}

The Usual Suspects (1995 film)

The Plot:
Investigation of a crime scene, there appear to be only two survivors: Roger "Verbal" Kint (Spacey), a con artist with cerebral palsy, and a hospitalized Hungarian criminal named Arkosh Kovash. Baer interrogates the severely burned Kovash in the hospital, who claims that Keyser Söze, a Turkish criminal mastermind with a near-mythical reputation, was in the harbor "killing many men". Kovash begins to describe Söze through an interpreter while a police sketch artist draws a rendering of Söze's face. Meanwhile, Verbal has testified at length about the incident in exchange for near-total immunity. While waiting to post bail on a minor weapons charge, Verbal is placed in the cluttered office of San Pedro Police Sergeant Jeffrey Rabin (Hedaya) where Kujan demands to hear his story from the beginning. Verbal's tale starts six weeks earlier in New York City

Level:
IIB

Directed by:
Bryan Singer

Main Cast:
kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Chazz Palminteri, Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Pollak, Benicio Del Toro

My Comment:
Exciting film, you will never know the true until you've watched the very end!!

My rating:
5/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiXdPolca5w

redrede 發表於 2013-8-22 15:37:35

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 12:53 編輯

Along with the Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998 film), Snatch (2000 film) is the follow up with humor and similar action.

Snatch (2000 film)

The Plot:
Unscrupulous boxing promoters, violent bookmakers, a Russian gangster, incompetent amateur robbers, and supposedly Jewish jewelers fight to track down a priceless stolen diamond.

Level:
IIB

Directed by:
Guy Ritchie

Main Cast:
Brad Pitt, Benicio Del Toro, Dennis Farina, Vinnie Jones, Jason Statham, Alan Ford

My Comment:
Very Cool and funny action film!

My Rating:
4/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUloT3Dh3-E

迦南 發表於 2013-8-22 22:50:23

redrede 發表於 2013-8-21 12:32
Momento (2000 Film)

The Plot:

I like memento.... This also remind me ofIrreversible (2002)

迦南 發表於 2013-8-22 22:51:27

My last weekend blockbuster was Hunger Game :)

lc7535 發表於 2013-8-23 08:54:14

{:5_246:}

redrede 發表於 2013-8-23 09:13:00

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-9-7 22:18 編輯

迦南 發表於 2013-8-22 22:51
My last weekend blockbuster was Hunger Game
I like Hunger Game too, waiting for the second one to come out later this year

redrede 發表於 2013-8-23 10:31:44

This is going to be a world collection of movies, and I'm also going to promote Hong Kong movies, there are good memories in the 80s, the whole series of 最佳拍檔 was one for the Hong Kong people having a good laugh, and their liftstyle.

最佳拍檔 Aces Go Places (1982 film)

The Plot:
香港黑道中人司徒不仁,向一個由Italian蒙提蘇圖操控的國際走私集團訂購了一批鑽石,在TST 交收期間,King Kong (Sam Hui)突然闖入,搶走了鑽石,現場僅留下一隻白手襪。Italian Gangstars不甘鑽石被搶,蒙提蘇圖回國後找來了真正的「白手襪」,恐嚇「白手襪」要到香港幫他們搶回鑽石。

Level:
I

Directed By:
曾志偉

Main Cast:
許冠傑 Sam Hui, 麥嘉, 張艾嘉

My Comment:
Good old movie series for HK young kids understanding the times of their parents!

redrede 發表於 2013-8-23 12:04:47

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:22 編輯

Thinking about movies of sports, sure most people may have already watched Space Jam (1996 film) and White Man Can't Jump (1992 film), there are more sport movies to encourge people to chase their dream, have a better life and be united.

Coach Carter (2005 film)

The Plot:

Coach Ken Carter (Jackson) takes over the head coaching job for the Oilers basketball team at his old high school Richmond, having played on the team himself, earning unbeaten records. Carter quickly learns that the athletes are rude and disrespectful, and are in need of discipline. He hands the players individual contracts, instructing them to attend all of their classes and maintain a respectable grade point average, among other requirements.

Level:
II

Directed by:
Thomas Carter

Main Cast:
Samuel L. Jackson, Rich Gonzalez, Robert Ri'chard

My Comment:
No matter how good you are, there are many things to learn to be a better person.

My Rating:
3.8/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znyAnWUYf2g

redrede 發表於 2013-8-23 12:14:55

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:22 編輯

Remember The Titans (2000 film)

The Plot:

In 1971, at the segregated T. C. Williams High School, a black head coach Herman Boone (Washington) is hired to lead the school's football team. Boone takes over from the current coach Bill Yoast (Patton), nominated for the Virginia High School Hall of Fame. As a show of respect, Boone offers an assistant coordinator coaching position to Yoast. Yoast at first refuses Boone's offer, but reconsiders after the white players pledge to boycott the team if he does not participate. Dismayed at the prospect of the students losing their chances at scholarships, Yoast changes his mind and takes up the position of defensive coordinator.

Level:
II

Directed by:
Boaz Yakin

Main Cast:
Denzel Washington, Will Patton, Donald Faison, Nicole Ari Parker

My Comment:
Truely inspiration!! Learn to Love the people around you and stop the hate!

My Rating:
4.2/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPhu9XsRl4M

redrede 發表於 2013-8-26 10:14:41

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:23 編輯

About time to start school again, don't know if there are any CHing like mine that have done any study with the films for the VCE exam?

What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993 Film)

The Plot:

In the small town of Endora, "a town is like dancing with no music", Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp) is busy caring for his mentally challenged younger brother, Arnie (Leonardo DiCaprio), as they wait for the many tourists' trailers to pass through town during their yearly camp ritual at a nearby recreational area. His mother, Bonnie (Darlene Cates) is morbidly obese after years of depression following her husband's suicide by hanging. She hasn't left the house in years, and is always found sitting on the sofa watching television. While the family prepares for Arnie's upcoming 18th birthday party, a young woman named Becky (Juliette Lewis) and her grandmother are stuck in town when the truck towing their trailer breaks down. Gilbert's unusual life circumstances threaten to get in the way of a budding romance.

Level:
II

Directed by:
Lasse Hallstrom

Main Cast:
Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juliette Lewis

My Comment:
...... when a young man has going through so much (or not much) and then see a flash of turning point ......

My Rating:
4.5/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6sLIP3908w

redrede 發表於 2013-8-26 10:23:02

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:24 編輯

Dead Letter Office (1998 Film)

The Plot:
Alice's father left when she was a child. She continued to share her life with him in letters that she sent not realising that he never received them. Eventually, they all come back with "Dead Letter Office" stamped on the front. As an adult, she becomes consumed with a desire to find him and takes a job with the Dead Letter Office, convinced that she can use them to fulfill her romantic notions of a reunion with her father. What awaits her at the Dead Letter Office is far more than that ...

Level:
II

Directed by:
John Ruane

Main Cast:
Miranda Otto, George DelHoyo

My Comment:
Beautifully conceived and realised, Dead Letter Office is a delightful, original film about dreams, reality and hope

My Rating:
3.8/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OpQ5fWjlhw

redrede 發表於 2013-8-26 10:36:53

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:25 編輯

Chocolat (2000 Film)

The Plot:
A woman and her daughter open a chocolate shop in a small French village that shakes up the rigid morality of the community.

Level:
II

Directed by:
Lasse Hallstrom

Main Cast:
Juliette Binoche, Alfred Molina, Carrie-Anne Moss, Victoire Thivisol, Johnny Depp, Judi Dench

My Comment:
{:4_118:}

My rating:
3.8/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32x33l2sLe8

redrede 發表於 2013-8-26 14:14:32

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:26 編輯

Sure a lot of CHings here have watched this...

Taxi Driver (1976 Film)

The Plot:
A mentally unstable Vietnam war veteran works as a night-time taxi driver in New York City where the perceived decadence and sleaze feeds his urge for violent action, attempting to save a preadolescent prostitute in the process.

Level:
IIB

Directed by:
Martin Scorsese

Main Cast:
Robert De Niro, Jodie Foster, Albert Brooks, Harvey Keitel, Leonard Harris, Peter Boyle, Cybill Shepherd

My Comment:
You talkin' to me!? In July/August 2009, this film came first along with several critics on the best films to win the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.

My Rating:
4.5/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLpMx8_TYOo

redrede 發表於 2013-8-26 14:25:59

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:29 編輯

Femme Fatale (2002 Film)

The Plot:
A woman tries to straighten out her life, even as her past as a con-woman comes back to haunt her.

Level:
IIB

Directed by:
Brain De Palma

Main Cast:
Rebecca Romijn, Antonio Banderas, Peter Coyote

My Comment:
What would you do if you have one more chance before your action?

My Rating:
3.8/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qrox5ZS2go

redrede 發表於 2013-8-26 15:15:49

本帖最後由 redrede 於 2014-3-8 13:29 編輯

Ronin (1998 Film)

The Plot:
A freelancing former US intelligence agent tries to track down a mysterious package that is wanted by both the Irish and the Russians.

Level:
IIB

Directed by:
John Frankenheimer

Main Cast:
Robert De Niro, Jean Reno, Natascha McElhone, Stellan Skarsgard, Sean Bean, Jonathan Pryce

My Comment:
Typical action film!

My Rating:
4/5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqaVEIUw4U

頁: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
查看完整版本: Movies Junkies 週未睇乜舊片好